NStar was doing a Gas Line repair when the line blew, as static electricity from from the line itself ignited the gas. Two NStar workers were exposed to a flash fire that singed their hair and skin. The injuries are considered minor and superficial in nature. The gas line needed to be shut down by an NStar emergency crew before firefighters could extinguish a burning backhoe. The backhoe was a total loss and another NStar service vehicle had minor heat damage. The flames shot about twenty-five feet in the air and damaged cable and power lines. SELCO shut down electricity to the area. Police and Fire secured the area as residents were advised to shelter in place and stay in their homes.
More details to follow